You can apply for an SMI scholarship if you meet the following requirements:
- are legally able to work in the United States
- have at least a high school diploma or HiSET (GED)
- live in York, Cumberland, or Androscoggin County
- have demonstrated financial need and qualify only for private financial aid, not public funds
- are seeking the additional English language skills, professional skills, or qualifying exams necessary to achieve post-secondary educational or career goals
- have English language proficiency levels that ensure you will succeed in the course, program, or exam
***********IMPORTANT VACCINE INFORMATION**********
All SMI scholarship recipients are expected to comply with the vaccine requirements at their enrolled school. Failure to comply with university vaccination requirements can result in their dismissal from their course or program and will therefore make SMI scholarship recipients responsible for any payments to their university made on their behalf by SMI.
Click on the above link and the PDF document will show in a new browser tab. From there you may download or print the application form.
Additional information for SMI Scholarship Applicants and Recipients:
- Applications are due two weeks before the beginning of your course, training program or date of exam.
- SMI scholarships must be used for a course, training program or exam located in Maine (exceptions may be made for online courses)
- If we’ve awarded you a scholarship previously, you may be considered for another scholarship provided you show proof of a passing grade for any previous classes funded partially or fully by SMI.
- SMI scholarships may not always cover the entire cost of the course, training program or exam fee, depending on the amount of funding requested and the funds available at that time.
- Scholarships are awarded at the discretion of SMI, and the amounts of scholarships for similar courses, programs or exams may vary from recipient to recipient.
- SMI offers some funding support for nonprofits providing educational, training and/or certification programs in a group setting along with our scholarship program for individuals pursuing specific educational and career goals. Please contact us for more information.
If you have questions about the scholarship requirements or application form please contact SMI.